Thanks to its integral wind protection, built-in shock absorption, long battery life, and headphone monitoring port, the MKE 400 is a truly capable solution for capturing clear audio—a perfect companion for vloggers, run-and-gun videographers, and mobile journalists who need a quality camera-mount mic that will never get in the way of the shot.
To ensure that you're prepared for any shoot, the MKE 400 includes two locking 3.5mm audio cables—one features a standard TRS plug for compatibility with cameras and DSLRs, while the other utilizes a TRRS plug to connect with your smartphone or tablet. Plus, the supplied furry windshield can be slipped over the MKE 400 to provide increased protection from wind noise when shooting in outdoor environments.v
Along with its redesigned appearance, the second-generation MKE 400 boasts significant upgrades over the original MKE 400 to make it even more effective and versatile.
- Swappable 3.5mm TRS and TRRS output cables
- 3.5mm headphone port with volume control
- 3-stage gain control (the original MKE 400 had two gain positions)
- Auto-power function
- Integrated wind protection
- Furry windshield included for outdoor wind protection
- Compatible with Sennheiser's CL 35 USB-C cable (available separately) for direct digital connection to a mobile device's USB Type-C port
Compact and Lightweight
- Measuring just 5" long and weighing only 3.3 ounces, the MKE 400 is an unobtrusive companion for your camera- or smartphone-based video rig; it will never intrude on the shot and it's so light that you'll forget it's even there. Also, the integral shoe mount allows the MKE 400 to be attached directly to your camera, no external hardware required.
Highly Directional Sound Pickup
- Most built-in camera and smartphone microphones are omnidirectional to pick up sound from all directions, which results in undue noise and ambience. The MKE 400 uses a supercardioid polar pattern enhanced by an acoustic interference tube to focus on sources in front of the mic while attenuating side- and rear-entry sound. Low-noise electronics and a sensitive condenser element allow it to deliver more detailed audio than the mics typically found in cameras, mobile devices, and portable recorders.
Quick and Secure Hookup to Camera, Smartphone, or Tablet
- The MKE 400's 3.5mm output port can be connected to a range of devices using the two supplied coiled cables, each featuring a locking 3.5mm TRS plug on one end that prevents accidental disconnection at the mic.
- One cable is terminated with a standard 3.5mm TRS plug for compatible hookup to your camera, DSLR, or portable handheld audio recorder, while the other cable has a 3.5mm TRRS plug to allow direct connection to mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
Headphone Monitoring Port
- A vital step before recording audio is to check your levels and monitor your sound. While some cameras have a headphone jack, not all do, and that's where the headphone monitoring output comes into play. Plug any 3.5mm headphone directly into the MKE 400 and use the integrated volume control to make sure the sound is clear.
Long Battery Life
- The MKE 400 can run for up to 100 hours on a pair of AAA batteries (available separately), so you'll be able to knock out plenty of shoots before needing new batteries. The low-battery indicator lets you know when you have approximately three hours of operating time remaining. The MKE 400's auto-power function uses plug-in power (2 to 10V) from your device to automatically turn it on and off, preventing unnecessary battery drain.
Internal Suspension Mount Minimizes Handling Noise
- The MKE 400 incorporates internal shock absorption to reject the transfer of vibrations such as camera/smartphone handling noise. Plus, the bottom of the MKE 400 features a camera shoe mount, ensuring simple attachment to your camera or shoe-equipped stand or gimbal.
Built-In Wind Protection Minimizes Wind Noise
- Knowing that the MKE 400 may be used in challenging shooting conditions, Sennheiser designed the MKE 400 with built-in wind protection, enabling the mic to lessen undesirable wind noise from breezes, fans, heaters, and air conditioners without requiring that you slip on a separate foam windscreen. For maximum reduction of wind noise in outdoor environments, use the included furry windshield.
- Achieving proper recording levels is crucial to avoiding distortion. The MKE 400's adjustable sensitivity provides three settings to optimize the mic's audio signal volume. The -20 dB setting is ideal when capturing loud sounds that could distort your recording. The 0 dB position is recommended for normal dialogue levels or when using a high-quality external preamp. Select +20 dB when miking quiet sources or using cameras with low input sensitivity.
- When excessive low-frequency noise from HVAC systems and traffic interferes with the clarity of your audio, activate the 200 Hz low-cut filter to attenuate bass frequencies while letting crucial midrange and high-frequencies pass through unaffected.
- Mobile Journalist, Vlogger, Run & Gun
- For Cameras and Smartphones
- 100-Hour Run Time via AAA Batteries
- Built-In Wind Protection and Shockmount
- Locking 3.5mm TRS Out & Headphone Port
- 3.5mm TRS and TRRS Output Cables
- Highly Directional Sound Pickup
- 3-Stage Gain Control and Low-Cut Filter
- Furry Windscreen for Outdoor Use
- Mounts to Camera Cold Shoe
IN THE BOX
- Sennheiser MKE 400 Camera-Mount Shotgun Microphone (2nd Generation)
- Sennheiser CL 35 TRS Locking 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS Coiled Cable
- Sennheiser CL 35 TRRS Locking 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRRS Coiled Cable
- Sennheiser MZH 400 Furry Windshield for MKE 400
- Drawstring Pouch
- Limited 2-Year Manufacturer Warranty
Sennheiser MKE 400 Specs
Camera-Mount / Shotgun Mic
50 Hz to 20 kHz
132 dB SPL (1 kHz)
Camera-Mount / Shotgun Mic
|Intended Sound Sources||
1 x Electret Condenser
50 Hz to 20 kHz
132 dB SPL (1 kHz)
-23 dBV/Pa at 1 kHz (Max Gain)
-63 dBV/Pa at 1 kHz (Min Gain)
|Approximate Battery Life||
|Mounting Thread Size||
Included Mount Has No Threading
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.