Like other H-Series Handy recorders such as the H5 and H6, you can hold it in your hand, attach it to a mic stand or tripod, or mount it to a camera (shoe mount available separately). Springing from the foundation of the original H1, the H1n packs an array of workflow and performance upgrades into a rugged body that's more than ready to meet the varied demands of videographers, musical artists, podcasters, and more. From its plentiful battery life to its multiple audio-enhancing functions, the H1n is well equipped for tracking live performances, rehearsals, and demos, or for recording sound effects, interviews, and ambience. It can supply plug-in power for a condenser lavalier mic, or accept a direct line-level connection from a mixer or wireless receiver. No matter the source, selectable auto-recording and pre-recording ensure that you'll never miss the start of a take.
What's New on the H1n
- Operability is simplified via one-touch buttons, a dedicated gain dial, and an improved display.
- A built-in limiter protects against distortion caused by overloads.
- Auto-record, pre-record, and self-timer functions enhance your workflow and prevent cutting off the start of recordings.
- Unlimited overdubbing allows layering new performances on an existing recording.
- Playback speed is adjustable for transcribing, studying, and learning pieces of music or quickly scanning through long takes.
- An integrated tone generator makes it easy to calibrate your H1n and camera audio levels.
- Two AAA batteries (alkaline, NiMH, or lithium) can power the H1n, whereas the H1 utilized one alkaline or NiMH AA battery.
- Additional protection around the microphones inhibits extraneous noises caused by physical contact with the capsules.
Simple Layout of Common Controls
- The H1n's front panel is arranged to ensure simple, straightforward access to its most commonly used controls—transport buttons for record, play/pause, stop, back, and forward operations, one-touch buttons for the low-cut filter, limiter, and auto-level functions, and a large gain knob (clearly labeled from 0 to 10). Of course, the selectable Auto Level mode makes setup even faster by automatically adjusting the input level according to the input signal.
- For added safety, the power switch offers a hold position that disables all front-panel buttons to prevent accidental operation during recording. Day or night, view vital information such as audio levels, recording time, battery status, and more on the 1.25" monochrome backlit LCD.
Onboard Stereo Microphone
- Record in true stereo without external microphones; the H1n is outfitted with an onboard stereo microphone that provides clear, phase-accurate capture. The capsules are arranged in a classic 90° X/Y configuration for a tight stereo image. With nothing more than the H1n, you're set to record speech, practice sessions, concerts, or ambient and environmental sounds—even intensely loud ones up to 120 dB!
3.5mm Microphone/Line Input with Plug-In Power
- Thanks to a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack input that supplies 2.5V plug-in power, the H1n can accommodate an external condenser microphone such as a clip-on lavalier for crisp, close-miked speech reproduction. Plugging in an external source to the 3.5mm jack overrides the onboard mic input, so no manual input selection is required. Since the 3.5mm input also supports line-level signal, you can route the output of a wireless microphone receiver into the H1n.
Powered via AAA Batteries or AC Adapter
- Power the H1n via two AAA batteries, or plug it into a wall outlet with an AD-17 AC adapter (available separately). Alkaline batteries can keep the H1n recording the onboard X/Y mic at 16-bit / 44.1 kHz resolution for up to 10 hours. When using the H1n as an audio interface, USB bus powering is possible.
Rugged and Portable, Handheld or Mounted
- The compact, durable, ergonomic body lends itself naturally to being handheld or stashed in a pocket. Should you need to mount it on a mic stand or tripod, a threaded hole on the back of the H1n obviates the need for stand adapters. Obtain a hot shoe adapter (available separately) to attach the H1n directly to a DSLR.
Signal Processing Adds Sonic Polish
- The H1n's onboard effects allow you to add polish to your recordings. The limiter can prevent distortion by controlling input signals that have excessively high levels, while a low-cut filter helps eliminate wind noise, blowing, and other kinds of low-frequency rumble. Also, you can adjust playback speed and choose from multiple tone-enhancing sound effects.
Special Recording Functions
- The H1n offers selectable recording functions designed to prevent you from accidentally missing the start of a performance. By keeping the previous two seconds of audio whenever you press the record button, the pre-record option ensures that you'll never cut off the beginning of a great take. Auto-record can automatically start recording when a user-set sound level is detected, making it great for voice-activated recording. You can even set a timer to make the H1n automatically start recording after up to 10 seconds.
Tone Generator for Calibrating Levels
- An internal tone generator makes it easy to calibrate your H1n and camera audio levels. When the H1n is connected to a DSLR camera or other external device, a test tone can be played to match their output levels.
Overdub Unlimited Layers
- Not only can the H1n record two channels at up to 24-bit / 96 kHz resolution, but it also supports unlimited overdubbing for layering new sounds over existing recordings. Since a new file is created and the original file is left unchanged, you can overdub without worrying about mistakes.
microSD Card Recording and Audio Interface Functionality
- Maximize portability by recording directly to a separately available microSD/microSDHC card (up to 32GB capacity). A 4GB card will yield approximately over six hours of 16-bit / 44.1 kHz stereo recording time using the BWF-compliant WAV format for uncompressed audio quality and industry-standard file compatibility.
- Alternatively, use the H1n as a 2-in/2-out USB 2.0 audio interface at up to 16-bit / 48 kHz. The USB port also enables the H1n to be used as a card reader for fast file transfers.
3.5mm Output for Hookup to a Camera or Headphones
- The 3.5mm line/headphone mini-jack output features a dedicated volume control, making it capable of feeding your camera/DSLR or a pair of headphones. For quick playback reference, a built-in monophonic speaker is presented on the bottom of the front panel.
- Speech, Sound Effects & Music Recording
- Includes SPH-1N Accessory Pack
- Onboard Stereo Mic, Built-In Speaker
- 3.5mm Mic/Line Input with Plug-In Power
- Simple Layout of Common Controls
- Up to 96 kHz Files, 10-Hour Battery Life
- 3.5mm Line/Headphone Output
- Auto-Record & Pre-Record Functions
- Supports microSDHC Cards up to 32GB
- Auto-Level, Limiter & Low-Cut Filter
IN THE BOX
- H1n Digital Handy Recorder
- 2x AAA Batteries
- Steinberg Cubase and WaveLab LE
- Micro USB Cable
- AD-17 Power Adapter
- Foam Windscreen
- Padded Shell Case
|Number of Tracks||
|Maximum Sampling Rate||
96 kHz / 24-Bit
Built-In Cardioid Condenser Stereo Pair, X/Y Configuration
Yes, 500 mW Mono
1.25" / 3.17 cm Monochrome LCD (Backlit)
|Memory Card Support||
microSD, microSDHC (Up to 32 GB)
|Audio File Formats||
BWF, MP3, WAV
44.1 / 48 / 96 kHz
24-Bit (AD/DA Conversion)
32-Bit (Internal DSP)
48 to 320 kb/s
|Signal Processing & FX||
Auto Gain, Limiter, Low-Cut Filter
WAV 44.1 kHz/16-Bit:
1 Hr 34 Mins per GB (Stereo)
WAV 48 kHz/24-Bit:
57.5 Mins per GB (Stereo)
WAV 96 kHz/24-Bit:
28.5 Mins per GB (Stereo)
MP3 128 kb/s:
17 Hrs 21.5 Mins per GB (Stereo)
MP3 256 kb/s:
8 Hrs 40.5 Mins per GB (Stereo)
MP3 320 kb/s:
6 Hrs 56.5 Mins per GB (Stereo)
1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRS Female Unbalanced Line/Mic Input
1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRS Female Unbalanced Headphone/Line Output
Yes, 2.5 V
1 x Micro-USB (2.0)
X/Y Mic Capsule:
Up to +39 dB
Up to +39 dB
|Headphone Output Power||
20 mW per Channel into 32 Ohms
|Microphone Max SPL||
120 dB SPL
2 x AAA (Not Included)
|Approximate Battery Life||
WAV 44.1 kHz/16-Bit:
10 Hours (Alkaline, 2 Channels)
|AC/DC Power Adapter||
5 VDC at 1 A (Not Included)
2 x 1.3 x 5.4" / 50 x 32 x 137.5 mm
2.1 oz / 60 g
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||
8.6 x 4.3 x 1.7"
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.